Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Buenos tardes

Birthday soccer!
 
After the game
 
With Ricardo
 
Birthday asado with the Gutierrez family
 
Rodeo del Medio district
 
With Elder Alberro and the new sweater!
 

Buenas tardes Madre!
 
Well, I definitely don't feel much different being twenty. It's been a pretty normal week haha although crazy at the same time! I guess that's just how the mission is, right? Always an adventure, always new people, new faces, new needs, and exciting conversations!! It's a great two years, that's for sure haha.
 
Alright Mom, just so you don't worry, I'll talk about skype right now haha. So the thing is, we got transfers yesterday, and I'm heading to San Juan Alberdon, in the zona Chimbas, but guess who is my companion???? Elder Rogers!!! Again!! It's so crazy, I was so surprised when I heard that. I didn't believe them at first, I thought they were joking. But it's meant to be so I'm not complaining. I'm just glad I get along with him since we´ve already been together, and I'm pretty excited to go! But also really sad to leave Rodeo del Medio. It's been an awesome three transfers here as well. Anyway, moving back to skype, since I am leaving Thursday and will be there in a completely new area, I don't know what the plans are yet reallyl.... I'm going to try to send you a message before Sunday, but I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out! I was hoping Elder Rogers would send me an email or something, but no such luck. So I will let you know. But seeing as how things worked out just fine for Christmas, I'm sure they will work out for Mothers Day too! It's the same companionship, so don't worry. I told Dad it will probably be in the afternoon for you guys, like 2 or 3, or maybe if Elder Rogers goes first again a little later. But yeah! There you go, transfer news and skype, all wrapped up in one! Funny how things are so related :)
 
And we are in a different cyber today (sorry, a day late... I hate doing that) so I have sound and I can actually watch all the videos without problems! So I just watched our birthday one with the Elders haha that was pretty awesome. And Kelly's is going to be the last thing before I leave (sorry, I've said that three times now right? :/) But it's better late than never I guess! As for me looking older than Elder Alberro, it's just because I'm with someone shorter than me, and I dunno about the maturity thing. I feel like I've become more of a little kid on the mission, but I guess it's just because I've actually opened up to everyone, unlike me before. So that's a good thing! I hope. If not, well, que me soporten igual :P Dad you can translate that if you wish.
 
So the leaves have all started changing and falling, so it's officially fall!!! I'm way happy. The hot-cold changes are pretty annoying, but oh well. I sleep well (as well as possible for such a crappy bed anyway) and I'm just excited that it's not so stinkin hot anymore! And speaking of hot, I'm glad I'm going to San Juan for winter!! It's going to be more like home, sweet desert home :) I'm excited. I just hope I can see the mountains at least a little. But San Juan isn't as close as Mendoza is. Oh well, I've got plenty of time still right?
 
Mike Fisher is the tennis coach now at Kuna?? He´s just jumping all around! Haha but that's cool that you got to talk to him! His chemistry class was way fun. I hope all is well with him and his family!
 
And sorry Nathan that you don't have a big trust circle with the cars still.. just be patient :)  That will come when you get your license.
 
Wow that's a lot of songs to learn so quickly, I'll keep you in my prayers! I know you can learn them though, at least they are all familiar! It's weird seeing all those song names, I haven't sung a song in English for a long time. Haha thinking about choir is just crazy. I definitely don't have the same voice or talent after a few years. I'm glad you got to see Mr. and Mrs. Olmstead! And I'm glad they´re doing well. He´s always got a project to do, so that's good! Keeping busy! Retirement is great I imagine but you don't want to be bored! Tell them hi for me the next time. And if they could read the blog, that would be way cool too!
 
Wow the Elliots are moving? And so quick after Tyler´s farewell? That sounds pretty crazy. Elder Alberro is going through the same thing, but the opposite since he´s finishing his mission. But his family is moving from Virginia where he left from, to Florida, but then his dad is going to London for a few years, so he is going home to London, staying there a little bit, then going to Florida, then going to Idaho for school (BYU I). Lots of travel! I can't imagine what it would be like to go home to a different world entirely! Hopefully they can handle it.
 
I like that quote from Mother Teresa a lot! I think I've heard parts of it before but never that whole thing. It's really true, and I promise I try to do that as much as possible!! It has a lot to do with that scripture in Ether as well. I remember reading that a couple months ago and thinking wow, that's so true, and so personal for all of us! I guess that's what the scriptures should be like anyway right? Personal and of benefit for us!! (1 Nephi 19:23) Thanks Bro Sell for scripture mastery haha.
 
So on Sunday as we were attempting to listen to the testimonies given (attempting, because in the room where we sit, like I've said before I'm sure, it's really loud with all the cars passing and everything) and I decided to ask Juan Pablo what his favorite scripture was. I was honestly thinking he was going to open to some random page and say something like "well I like this one, it talks about, you know, like it says, repent and whatnot" but I was very surprised when he turned straight to the book of Mormon (the book written by Mormon, before Ether and after 4 Nephi) and found chapter 7 verse 9. It says:
 
9 For behold, this is written for the intent that ye may believe that; and if ye believe that ye will believe this also; and if ye believe this ye will know concerning your fathers, and also the marvelous works which were wrought by the power of God among them.
 
I was still kinda skeptical so I asked him to explain it, and he just said he read it with Elder Daybell (different one from my last district leader in San Luis) and said it talks about the Book of Mormon and the Holy Bible, which we believe in as well, I might add!
 
He explained that if we believe in the Bible, we will believe in the Book of Mormon, if we at least give it a try of course. Can't read a book by its cover right? But that just led us to talking about his sister who is pretty skeptical when it comes to anything about our church or the Book of Mormon, and hence Elder Alberro and I have been doing things subtly this whole transfer. But it's just amazing how much you can find out about someone from someone that knows them better than almost anyone! I asked opinions of how to share things with her and how to get her to try things out at the least, and it was very impressive to see him talk about her with all the love and respect that siblings should have. But I was just surprised to see how much he WANTED her to give it a try, because he already undesrtands the Gospel and the fact that this is all about families, this life I mean. And even though I'm leaving now, I know Elder Alberro is going to work hard with them as well, along with his trainee (oh yeah, he´s training haha, he found out about three hours ago). But I still have tonight with them... I'm going to do all I can to leave them on a high note!!! I really love the Gutierrez family, because they are all way nice and loving, and give us too much honestly! Last night she gave me and Elder Alberro each a sweater (I'll send you pictures from today with it on. I think it's pretty cool haha, it's just authentic Argentine so I like it!!!) and their oldest daughter that I've literally only seen four times was devastated when she found out last night that I was leaving. She made me a scarf too! So I don't need to buy that now. Wow, I really love that family.
 
So yeah, you don't need to worry about the people who maybe don't treat us well, because there are the few and the loving that really do treat us better than we deserve! So don't worry Mom. :)
 
Anyway, I need to go say goodbye to a few people today, so we´re going to head to Carrefour and buy a few necessities and then head back to the area! I´ve still got to pack... joy joy joy! Speaking of packing, thank you Kelly for your vacuum bag idea that you unintentionally gave me when we went to BYU haha. I found some and bought them and they are going to help a ton.
 
Anyway, I will be writing you all from up north next week! I am way excited, and hopefully all the changes in your lives are going to be super exciting and fun for you too! Just make the best of it, because change is never 100% what we want, it always comes with good and bad (apart from repentance, of course. Thatss a change that benefits us 100% and costs us NOTHING. What a grand blessing that is, no?) To quote Elder Galicia, "Venga lo que venga, DISFRUTELO!" Or to translate, "come what may, enjoy it!" Let that be your motto for this next month of May! I love you Mom, tell Nathan and Kate hi for me! And anyone else that you see! Because yes, I love them all too. Until next week, fresh from cactus land!

Elder Tyson Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment