Monday, August 12, 2013

Hey Mom and Dad!!!

Wow, today´s cyber session has just been crazy...so many things to do. I had to print out a bunch of forms for our binder, and then thankfully Elder Thurgood, our ZL, had invitations to baptism forms already made, so he sent that to me and I printed those out for tonight... I guess I´m kinda getting ahead of myself? :)

So... the familia Munoz is getting baptized this weekend!!! They took out the turno for marriage... guess what day... Friday! And then they´ll be baptized Saturday, and confirmed Sunday! What an awesome weekend, right? :) We were worried about Fabian and smoking, since they didn't make it to church yesterday (it's alright, they have already met that requirement, and it was because they couldn't get a taxi since they were all busy with voting and stuff. It was a crazy day yesterday), but we texted them today, and they answered back literally ten minutes ago, telling us that they got the analysis done (a requirement for the marriage), they are set to get married Friday, and Fabian hasn't smoked for 4 days now! It helps that Elder Fullmer gave him like 50 Dum Dums to eat when he wanted to smoke. And they told us that they were excited for tonight´s visit, a FHE, and we are going to plan the baptism and just review all the questions for the baptismal interview! And then Maria´s birthday is tomorrow. So we will see them again tomrorow as well to bring some brownies or something, and the invitations for their family we are going to make tonight! What an awesome day, right? :) I'm just super happy, can you tell? 
 
So then more interesting news I just got about 5 minutes ago, was that on Wednesday night I have to go to Mendoza! With Elder Wright and Elder Braithwaite, so I´m pretty sure it's to renew our visas. So that was a BIG shock since this week is going to be SOO important. But Elder Fullmer will still be here, although in a trio and in a different area, and to answer your question Dad, yes he is definitely ready. He doesn't think so, but he is way beter off than I was after my second transfer here. He will be a very good leader in the future as well. Only thing is, I have to think now of a calm way of telling him that ALL the plans we have to do this week are now up to him haha. Any suggestions? Just kidding, I have to tell him today since it's kinda a big deal! 
 
And HOLY COW! I had no idea Adriana was listening to the missionaries or anything! What a stud Tony has been. I was worried about him and his mission and all, but that news came a few weeks ago, so now I´m just super happy for him. And for her! She looks very, very happy, and it's good to know since the last news I really had was that they had fought and then gotten back together. But yeah, thanks for the picture! They both look happy. and he will be a super good missionary, and then he'll be able to speak Spanish with all us cool Spanish speakers :) 
 
I´m glad all the crazy things happening last week turned out well! What--I can't believe you made ribs for the first time, without me! I love ribs. The ribs down here are actually kinda disgusting, even asado style. Probably because they don't have the same expectations as we do up there. Oh well, just a little more time...  Wow, I can't believe Kate is in high school now. What the heck. But I'm glad she is having so many offers thrown at her!!! She´ll be very well rounded jobwise by the end of high school. And I bet Nathan is nervous about seminary. I'm sure the teacher will be just as cool, but Brother Sell definitely has a special spot in my heart. He helped me out a lot, even though he probably never saw much of that help blossom or anything. I'll have to make a trip to visit him sometime.
 
I´m glad to hear the reception went well! And that Tindall is doing good and is happy! Still working hard though, like always. That's pretty funny about the pool. I guess I never thought about it before, but she was definitely getting to be one of the older ones working there. I would get annoyed after working with 15 yr olds too, or at least I would have before the mission. I think I could get along pretty well now! I seem to have more ability of adapting myself to situations and people than before. 
 
That sounds rough for Chris! I am just super glad that our mission isn't getting divided and that President Avila doesn't leave until June nex year, so I'll be leaving the transfer before them! It will definitely be weird for the missionaries that came this past June, having President Avila and then another president, each for one year. But also very cool I suppose! But I'm content that it isn't happening to me:)
 
So this past week I had to give a talk again, like I told you. But it turned out SOOO much better than last time, I had a lot more time, and I actually ran over into the stake president´s counselor´s time. But he didn't mind at all, he actually came up to me after the meeting and thanked me for my "excellent talk." So I felt a lot better about it. One interesting thing that probably is different about me... I feel like before the mission, it was hard to get me to talk for longer than a few minutes. And now I have realized that it's super hard to get me to stop talking now... you probably can't believe it, but you´ll notice when I get home probably. Haha Bishop Rhead should probably give me like 20 minutes or something, I dunno. Just a heads up. But anyway, what does that have to do with anything? Well yesterday and the week before, I planned my talk but then went through multiple times to just cut out any tangent that I had put in, because I just wanted to teach the most basic doctrine. And I've realized that a big reason I talk so much is that when a tangent presents itself, I almost always take it. So I figured if I started now, planning for a very basic talk, it would help with lessons too. We´ll see. I haven't had a lesson since yesterday :) and tonight probably won't be a very basic lesson since we have a lot to talk about with them (teaching, no--just plans for this week since I'm going to Mendoza, and then for the baptism). I'll let you know more about that!
 
Oh yeah! the familia Munoz(or will be Muñoz on Friday) came to the bishop´s son´s baptism! And they came by themselves too! I think their curiosity brought them haha, but they LOVED IT! All of bishop´s wife´s family was there, or a lot of them anyway, and they just took them into their arms, even though they´re from necochea and retiro wards. But they got to know them, and the BEST part of the baptism was when I was standing by Maria and Fabian, and she was talking to one of the sisters of Bishop's wife, and the sister asked when they were getting baptized, and Maria said "well first, we are getting married the 16th, and then we´ll be baptized on the 17th" just in a completely normal voice. And then I wanted to just say YES in a very not normal voice. They are already set on it, and we are seeing the results. Also, I was talking to Maria a little bit, and she just told me "I cant believe how the people are here. They are incredible, so nice and loving and accepting. Everyone is equal here, aren´t they?" And I just said "Well, since we all have the same goal, we are all imperfect, and we need help, everyone is willing to give a hand to anyone else, because then we´ll all be happy up in heaven together." And she just started crying and agreed. It was amazing. 
 
And then yeah, they didn't make it to church, but Fabian still hasn't smoked, so everything is going good!! 
 
Well, I am goign to try and get pictures with them tonight, but if not, Saturday we will have more pictures, and I'll get those to you on Monday. :) 
 
I don't really have much else to say, haha I have already spewed out all my excitement and everything. I just hope that you all have a really, really good week! And just a little quote that I shared in my talk, from President Eyring in the 2007 conference, I believe. 
 
 
"There is a danger in the word someday when what it means is “not this day.” “Someday I will repent.” “Someday I will forgive him.” “Someday I will speak to my friend about the Church.” “Someday I will start to pay tithing.” “Someday I will return to the temple.” “Someday …”
 
The scriptures make the danger of delay clear. It is that we may discover that we have run out of time. The God who gives us each day as a treasure will require an accounting. We will weep, and He will weep, if we have intended to repent and to serve Him in tomorrows which never came or have dreamt of yesterdays where the opportunity to act was past. This day is a precious gift of God. The thought “Someday I will” can be a thief of the opportunities of time and the blessings of eternity."
 
Please don't procrastinate anything important, what he says is true! I've seen it in the lives of members in every area down here, active or less active; I´ve seen it in the lives of non members; I´ve seen it in my own life, and the result is ALWAYS the same. The goals and dreams that we hold so dearly might appear to be within reach even if we aren't fulfilling our responsabilities or living the commandments, but thanks to a modern-day apostle, we are warned as to what will happen at the last moment. In the final moment, all of those dreams and goals will be taken away, if we haven't made the necessary changes in our lives. We don't want that; neither does God, he wouldn't be happy taking away all those blessings from us, but because we didn't obey as we should have done, He has to do it. Like it says in the quote, I have no doubt that we will cry and He will cry, if we dont change TODAY. Don't let your eternal goals be hindered by a small challenge or problem in this life that we already view as just a mortal life, a dot in the eternity of God´s plan. It's just not worth it. I wasted lots of time, eventually decided to change that, and if I hadn't... well I wouldn't be here, sharing this with you, or any that I have shared. It helps to think in a bigger perspective!!

I love you all, and hope you can all decide that TODAY you will make some important change in your life, whether it be something big or small, like the familia Muñoz´s decision to be baptized, or just a simple prayer at night and morning. Every little decision has its consequences, which can be more than we can handle if we choose the wrong road.  So make sure you choose the right ones this week! :)
 
Elder Tyson Gibbons

No comments:

Post a Comment